If you’re planning to replace your home’s HVAC system or you’re just mulling over an extensive upgrade, one of the most important decisions you can make concerns whom you’ll hire as your HVAC contractor. How does a homeowner choose the best HVAC contractor for the job?
Questions for an HVAC Contractor
- References – By all means, ask for references. And when you get the names of clients from your prospective HVAC contractor, call them. Ask about their level of satisfaction with the job done and whether it was completed on time and within budget. By all means, interview a number of prospective contractors before you hire one.
- Licensing and insurance – Ask for proof of licensure and whether or not the technicians who will be working on your job are licensed. Licensing shows proof that the service personnel have the training and experience to do a good job. You’ll also want proof that the contractor is insured and bonded, in case of an accident.
- Estimates – Ask a potential contractor if he or she will provide a written estimate of the scope of the job, its cost, and the time frame for completion.
- Brands – Does the contractor you’re interviewing carry the brand you’re interested in? Most HVAC contractors carry a limited number of brands and may be better trained and more familiar with some than others. You’ll want to discuss this, as well as his or her familiarity with your system.
- Tax credits, rebates or deals. Sometimes HVAC contractors offer specials on equipment, so ask about these and compare costs before you make your decision. Tax credits or rebates may also be available and your contractor should be familiar with them.
- Sizing equipment – Ask if the contractor uses industry software such as Manuals J, S and D to size various equipment. A good contractor shouldn’t rely on rules of thumb when sizing your system, nor should he or she simply replace the old with the same size.
For more information about hiring an HVAC contractor, contact us at Ocean State Air Conditioning and Heating. We’ve served the Jacksonville area since 1975.