The Sunshine State’s spring and summer weather can be overwhelming for many homeowners, and the air conditioning system you have in your home is no exception. Having a great system still means that you should take every opportunity to improve A/C efficiency and keep you and your family as comfortable as possible.
Improve A/C Efficiency of Your Current Unit
There are a few common sense tips and a few that might not be as obvious to most people. All of these are offered as a way to minimize energy costs, keep you and your family cool, and reduce the wear and tear on your heating and cooling system.
- Check and replace the air filter every month.
- Make use of ceiling fans. As the fan cools occupants with the breeze it generates, the thermostat can afford to be inched up a few degrees. Turning the fan off when you leave the room saves more energy.
- Ensure your home’s ducts are clean. Dirty ducts will restrict airflow and introduce dust, dirt and allergens into living spaces. This isn’t a do-it-yourself project though. Contact an experienced professional to handle the task for you.
- Don’t cool the outside. Keep doors and windows closed while the A/C is working. To improve A/C efficiency, maintain the home envelope as it was designed.
- Insulation of the proper type and amount should be installed in all exterior walls, attics, crawl spaces and around any plumbing or electrical intrusions through those walls.
For more tips on how to improve A/C efficiency in your home, contact Ocean State Air Conditioning & Heating. Inspections of your current system and planned maintenance can be discussed.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com