Fluctuating temperatures are no surprise in the Neptune Beach, Florida, area — especially during winter. While these fluctuations can sometimes make for perfect beach days or cozy nights, they are not exactly conducive to helping homeowners practice energy efficiency. To ensure your HVAC system isn’t blowing hot and cold, on and off all the time, as the temperature fluctuates, consider these energy-saving tips.
Upgrade to a Smart Thermostat
Since heating and cooling your home accounts for almost half of its energy costs, this is the first place you should focus on if you want to save energy. In addition to investing in an HVAC system that has a high seasonal energy efficiency ratio, upgrading to a smart thermostat is the next best thing you can do to gain more control over your home comfort environment. Here are some of the biggest benefits smart thermostats offer homeowners:
- Automating your heating and cooling to optimize efficiency.
- Adjusting the temperature in your home from anywhere via an app.
- The ability to program the settings one time and let the thermostat do the rest.
- Analyzing how much energy you’re using and where.
- Email alerts and energy-saving tools with total room-to-room control.
Choose the Right Window Treatments
Harnessing the warmth of the sun or blocking it is another way to save energy in your home, and your window treatments play an important part in that process. Blinds, shades and drapes are good for reducing both heat gain and heat loss. Awnings and reflective films are also good for reducing heat gain.
Wash and Dry Clothing Strategically
Considering how much energy it takes to wash and dry clothing, it’s a good idea to take advantage of tips that allow you to reduce energy consumption:
- Use cold rather than hot water as much as possible when washing.
- Clean the lint filter after every load you dry.
- Always run a full load in the washing machine to maximize energy efficiency.
When it’s warm outside, it is also a good idea to schedule laundry activities for the coolest times of the day — either early morning or late evening. By doing so, you avoid adding heat to your home and overworking your air conditioner.
For more information about how to save energy in your home and how to cut cooling costs, contact Ocean State Air Conditioning & Heating at 904-222-8411. We are the company your neighbors recommend!
Image provided by Thinkstock