How Does Rust Develop?
It’s not only the rain that causes your AC system to develop rust. As a coastal community, our proximity to the ocean generates humid air that carries plenty of salt. When the wind blows through it carries that same salt that then adheres to your air conditioning system. This not only causes corrosion and rust on your system but it can get so bad that it often voids your warranty.
Issues Stemming From a Rusty AC
In addition to shortening the lifespan of your AC system and potentially voiding your warranty, a rusty AC can have multiple negative effects that may not be obvious at first. The first is that rusty components often make your AC work harder to cool or heat your house which results in higher energy bills. That’s just in the short term because a rusty AC unit will gradually erode the capabilities of your system and lead to a premature failure which would require an entirely new system to be installed.
What To Do About a Rusty Air Conditioner
There are a number of ways to prevent rust before it forms on your system and there are also methods to remove it entirely before it comes too late. Here’s what to do about a rusty air conditioner:
- Repaint Your AC system. To start, remove the rusted area with a nylon brush and fine-grit sandpaper, and then wash with a degreaser to remove dust and debris. Before you paint, make sure to cover the internal components with painter’s tape or a tarp. Then, use a rust-proof primer first before adding a layer of rust-proof paint. If you don’t feel comfortable doing this yourself then give us a call and we will do it for you.
- Sign up for an Ocean State maintenance plan. Our maintenance plans allow for twice-annual visits and our skilled technicians will be able to not only identify rust for you but remove it as well.
- Clear the area around your unit and remove any excess vegetation or detritus that may have accumulated over time.
- Cash in on our Bronz-Glow Protection Package when you install a new system.
- Change your filters and coils regularly.
- There are multiple products you to clean the unit yourself and you can also purchase relatively inexpensive waterproof covers.
While a rusty AC system is a bit of an eye sore, it doesn’t always spell the imminent demise of your system. Rusty air conditioners in Jacksonville are a fact of life and the best way to prevent rust from accumulating is to schedule regular appointments with our NATE-skilled technicians. We’ll be able to identify the issue, fix the problem and prolong the lifespan of your unit to save you both a headache and a lot of money!
Our team of Jacksonville HVAC technicians is available 24/7 so don’t hesitate to give us a call and schedule an appointment so we can get your AC system running at peak capacity before the sweltering summer months arrive!