When you consider options to save energy in your Jacksonville home, one of the simplest and least expensive investments you can make is a programmable thermostat. Make the most of your investment by choosing the best model for your lifestyle, and setting it wisely. Here’s how:
Make your choice from the models below, according to your family’s schedule, and which days of the week your home is vacant for a prolonged period of time.
- 7 Day Model – Offering the greatest flexibility, this type allows for a different set program each day of the week.
- 5 Day + 2 Day Model – Ideal for families that run one schedule during the week, and another on the weekend days.
- 5 Day + 1 Day + 1 Day Model – Choose this type if your family is on a set schedule during the week, and varies on Saturdays and Sundays.
Programmable Thermostat Settings
Maximize your savings with the following guidelines:
- Install the thermostat on an interior wall, away from direct sources of heat, such as lighting, heat producing appliances, windows, skylights and fireplaces.
- Leave your thermostat at the energy-saving set point for eight hours or more, to save energy while you’re away or asleep.
- Avoid overriding the pre-programmed setting as much as possible; each time you do, you increase your energy usage and decrease your savings.
- If your thermostat uses batteries, change them on an annual basis to ensure accuracy and functionality; some models have a low-battery indicator light as an added reminder.
- If you have a zoned HVAC system, install a programmable thermostat within each zone for the ultimate in comfort, convenience and savings.
- Use the “vacation” or “hold” setting when away for a long weekend, or vacation, setting it at a constant, energy-saving temperature.
- Have your contractor check your thermostat settings and calibration during annual preventive maintenance.
For more information on how to save energy with your programmable thermostat, call the experts at Ocean State Air Conditioning & Heating, proudly serving homeowners in Jacksonville and the surrounding area.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com