Your air conditioner is going to work hard in the coming months as the heat of summer arrives in Jacksonville. The last thing you want to do is to have air conditioner problems. Here are five troubleshooting tips you can use to get that A/C running.
Tips for A/C Troubleshooting
- Clear leaves, weeds and debris from the outside unit. The outdoor condenser needs airflow to work properly. If debris of any sort clogs that airflow, it can cause the A/C to function inefficiently or stop running completely. You should remove the debris completely while the system is off.
- Check thermostat settings. If your home goes through cycles of heat before it cools down again, it may be your thermostat’s anticipator setting. Some thermostats wait until the temperature inside is two or three degrees above the setting before kicking on the air conditioning. See if your thermostat has a setting that will trigger the A/C to come on sooner. This will keep the house more comfortable.
- Make sure the condensate pump is working. This pump helps evacuate water from under the A/C and helps dehumidify the air inside your home. If humidity levels seem to be going up, pour water into the condensate pan and see if the pump starts. If it doesn’t then the pump may not have electricity or may be broken.
- Clean the vents. Clogged vents let less air out, causing some rooms to be hotter than others. Visually inspect each vent and make sure it’s clear of dust. You can use a vacuum cleaner to clean it. You also need to check that nothing is blocking the vent’s airflow.
- Ensure the A/C is properly sized. If your home never seems cool enough, the air conditioner may not be the right size for your home. The larger your home, the more BTUs you need. This can vary depending on the layout and size of your home. Call an HVAC professional to assess your system.
Learn more about how Ocean State Air Conditioning & Heating solves air conditioner problems, or give us a call today at (904) 574-5619 for other home comfort concerns.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com